Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Scouting the tree

Several months ago I read an interesting one page article in the back of Make Magazine about a guy who lived in a treehouse for 3 years in the 1970s. I hadn't thought about treehouses since I was a kid, but the article struck some kind of chord in me, and I started thinking about building one.

In the spring of 2006 I headed to the family farm in southern Indiana to see if I could find a suitable tree. I hiked around with my folks for a few days, and we eventually settled on a Sycamore tree that had grown out of an old stump. The tree had sprouted 5 trunks, and it looked like we could fit a good sized treehouse between them.



I wanted to put the tree up a good distance off the ground. After climbing around in trees all weekend I realized being up high in a tree was a bit more frightening than I expected. 16 feet off the ground seemed like a reasonable distance.



My dad and I measured the circumference of each trunk, and also measured the distance from each trunk to every other trunk. This allowed me to create a scale drawing of the tree at sixteen feet. I headed back to Colorado for the summer with enough information to start designing the treehouse.

2 comments:

Daviddoesitright said...

Superb design. Its spooky that this is almost exactly the plan that was brewing in my mind. Similar to a freestanding style (unattached to tree) tree house I made 5 years ago.
Your tree house is great. A very strong solid wooden platform with large laminated main beams made from plywood and 2xlumbar then tethered by chains.. using heavy metal brackets in corners etc. Most designs I have seen online are structurally weak and make no allowance for tree motion.
Nice job.

Jamison said...

Hello, you have an incredible treehouse and have documented the entire build process very thoroughly. We recently launched a new website called The Treehouse Journal (www.treehousejournal.com), would you mind if we posted a brief write-up and link to your website? Thanks!

Jamison